Tuesday 21 April 2009

PGP session 2

Starter
We got into French mode by looking at a clip from BBC learning zone
It was no 1033 on greetings.
Vocabulary presentation and practice
I demoed some techniques for presenting new voc with flashcard picture and wordcards
We looked at MES English and Tools for educators for generating resources like flashcards and dominoes
21st Century vocab learning with quizlet. Pupils can make their own to practise. My set on French colours here  My other quizlets here
Literacy links with L1
We talked about what skills in L1 would help L2 learning
I think the most important one is the ability to give synoyms and express yourself in other words, to work out what an expression really means eg he had a new jumper on = he wore a new jumper.
Knowing parts of speech is really useful too. We had a look at Grammar Ninja on the web. It can be downloaded and customised with your own sentences in French or German or Spanish. 
Dictionary and reading skills
prediction, clues, context, similarities with English or Latin/Greek words, general knowledge of Mythology la méduse - jellyfish, le renard Reynard the Fox (Aesop's tales, I think)
Finally a challenging reading task on African animal factfiles. This idea is shamelessly stolen from Lynne's blog
In fact most of my ideas are sparked off by my PLN (personal learning network) on Twitter and others such as Talkabout Primary MFL. "Sharing is caring!" Get yourself connected!
I've enjoyed these brief sessions with you and wish you well in your placement and for the future.
Please email me if you have any French related queries or want to share anything  you have seen or done! Or leave a comment.
Bonne continuation!

No comments: